- Full Professor, Eindhoven University of Technology, Designing Qualities in Interaction Group, Faculty of Industrial Design, The Netherlands.
- Senior researcher, Department of Social, Political and Cognitive Science, University of Siena, Italy.
- Rector’s delegate for technological innovation in the humanties, at the University of Siena.
- Head of the Laboratory of Robotics and Learning Technologies, Siena, Italy.
- Member of the Local Committee for “Siena, European Capital of Culture 2019 candidate”.
Since 2013, Patrizia Marti is part time Full Professor at the Eindhoven Technical University (NL). Since 2002 she is Senior Researcher at the Department of Social, Political and Cognitive Science Department, University of Siena (I) where she teaches Human-Computer Interaction (BA) and Robotics and Learning (Ms.C). She is Rector’s delegate for technological innovation in the humanties. She is the director of the Laboratory for Robotics and Learning.
In 2013, she received a honorary professorship at the Seogang College University, Seoul, Korea.
In 2014, she was visiting professor at the Gdañsk Technical University, Polland.
She got her Ph.D at the Eindhoven Technical University (NL), Faculty of Industrial Design. Her research interests range over a broad range of topics – including human-centred design, interaction design, learning and special education, design of e-health applications, human-robot interaction, design and validation of complex systems and societal impacts of new technologies. She has a long experience in fund raising at national and European level. He has been a Principal Investigator on 11 EU funded projects. She has been expert advisor to many EU and international bodies, including EU Commission, EU Future & Emerging Technologies Programme, EU Intelligent Information Interfaces, Eurocontrol, EU Disappearing Computer, UX group at University of Warsaw (Poland), Swedish Agency for Innovation Systems. She is a Member of the Italian SigCHI chapter and ACM. She has been a Program Chair and Associate Editor for the CHItaly Conference and Ro-Man conference. She has been an invited keynote speaker at different European conferences in the UK (AISB), Italy (PC), France (LIFT), Tanzania (TEDC), Germany (Republica), Lithuania (Login).
- Keynote speaker at MIDI 2014 – http://midi.pjwstk.edu.pl
- Keynote speaker at LOGIN 2012 – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50Dl6NhToGc
- Keynote speaker at Re-Publica 2012 – http://re-publica.de/12/en/2012/02/10/cindy-gallop-und-patrizia-marti-zu-gast-auf-der-republica-12/
- Keynote speaker, RoboLift 2011 – http://liftconference.com/robolift11/speakers, 23-25 March 2011.
- Keynote speaker, AISB 2010 – The 2nd International Symposium on “New Frontiers in Human-Robot Interaction”, http://homepages.feis.herts.ac.uk/~comqkd/HRI-AISB2010-Symposium.html, 31 March – 1 April 2010, De Montfort University, Leicester, United Kingdom.
- Keynote speaker, PDC 2006, http://www.pdc2006.org/, 1-5 Agosto 2006, Trento, Italia.
- Keynote speaker, TEDC 2006, http://cs.joensuu.fi/tedc2006/venue.htm, 10-12 Luglio 2006, Iringa, Tanzania.
- Invited Speaker, TwinTide Final Conference 10-12 October 2013, Bari, Italy.
- Invited Speaker, Robots for children with diability. Biennial National Congress Handimatica, Bologna, Italy, October 27-29 2008.
- Invited Speaker, Human-Robot Interaction, XXIII Edizione di Futuro Remoto. City of Science, Napoli, Italy, 15 October 2009.
- Invited Speaker, Interaction design and robotics, University of Joensuu, Finland, 13 March 2009.
- Invited Speaker, Fuori dallo schermo: Theory and practice of tangibile interaction, HCMI – Human-Computer Interaction Meetings, Parco Scientifico della Sardegna, Pula, (Ca), Italy, 18 September 2008.
- Invited Speaker, Robot as social mediators for children with disabilities. IV Conference on Educational Technologies for children with disability, Napoli, Italy, June 20 2008.
- Invited Speaker, Robot as social mediator for children with special needs, International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, IEEE IROS 2007, USA, California, San Diego, CA, 29 Oct – 2 Nov, 2007.
- Invited Speaker, Learning and play through technology. 1rst International Symposium on New Technologies for Children’s Play, University of Southerm Denmark, Odense, Danimarca, 29 Ottobre 2003.
- Invited Speaker, Robot-Assisted Therapy, 29 August 2005, AIST Tsukuba – Japan.
- Invited Speaker, Educational robotics, University of Palermo, 13 February 2006.
- Invited Speaker, The fragile condition: human-centred design for neonatal care. Turin, Italy, 28 October 2006.
- Invited speaker, Toys and play for motor impaired children, Ospedale ULSS N. 20 Verona, Rehabilitation Unit, 23-24 November 2006.
- Invited speaker, Innovative technologies for rehabilitation in the developmental age, City of Science Bagnoli, (Naples, Italy).
- Invited speaker, Design oriented approaches to the introduction of innovative social practices to ‘make place’ for IT, Alpis 2008, 8-12 February 2008, Carisolo, Trento (Italy).
- Laurea cum laude in Philosophy, University of Rome “La Sapienza”, Italy (1987).
- PhD, Faculty of Industrial Design, Technical University of Eidnhoven, The Netherlands (2012).
- Visiting Professor, University of Gdansk, Polland, (May 2014).
- honorary professor at the Seogang College University, Seoul, Kore (August 2013).
- Research Fellow, Institute of Psychology, National Research Council, Rome (I) (1988-1989).
- Visiting Fellow, Center for Research in Language, University of California San Diego, USA (1990 and 1995)
- Visiting Fellow, Department of Psychology, University College of London, UK (1992).
- Research Assistant, Multimedia Lab, University of Siena, Italy (1999-2001).
- Visiting Fellow, University of Limerick, Ireland (2001).
- Member of the Steering Committee of CHItaly, the Italian Chapter of SIGCHI (2009 – present).
- Member of the Steering Committee “Human Factors in Aviation”, RAI Registro Aeronautico Italiano (1998-2000).
- Member of the Steering Committee of AI*IA, Italian Association for Artificial Intelligence (1997-1999).
International Reviewer for National and International Research Agencies
- EU Future and Emergent Technology: Disappearing Computing
- EU Future and Emergent Technology: Open Scheme
- VINNOVA, Swedish Agency for Innovation Systems / Verket för Innovationssystem
- 9 PhD students, University of Siena and University of Firenze (I), (from 2004 until 2013).
- 1 PhD student, Eindhoven University of Technology (NL) (2012-2015).
External Examiner for Ph.D. candidates
- External examiner: PhD dissertation entitled “Robot Games for Elderly“ by Søren Tranberg Hansen, Aalborg University, Denmark (2011).
- External examiner: PhD dissertation entitled “Promoting Collaborative and Interactive Play Among Children With Autism Using an Autonomous Humanoid Robot” by Joshua Wainer, University of Hertfordshire, Hatfield, UK (2011).
- External examiner: PhD dissertation entitled ”Material Dispositions: a hybrid and interwoven design perspective on making computing palpable” by Jesper Wolff Olsen, Faculty of Science, Aarhus University (2011).
Held Academic Teaching Appointments at Universities and Design schools
- University of Siena, Italy (2002-present).
- University of Sassari, Italy (2006-2008).
- Domus Academy, Italy (2001-2005).
- Polytechnic of Milan, Italy (1997 to 2001).
- IULM, Libera Università di Lingue e Comunicazione, Milan, Italy (2000).
Reviewer for leading International Journals, in Computer Science, Information Systems, Design, Human-Robot Interaction, Education, including:
- IEEE Transactions on Human-machine Systems
- International Journal of Human-Computer Studies
- Interaction studies
- International Journal of Social Robotics
- International Journal of Design
- Intelligenza Artificiale
- Interaction Design&Architecture
- IEEE Transaction on Robotics
- CSCW Journal
- ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems
- ID&A Interaction Design & Architecture(s)”
- Intelligenza Artificiale
- Idearium – Italian Interaction Design Network
Commitment to Doctoral and Master Education (national and International)
- External examiner, MA in Interactive Media Course, University of Limerick, Ireland (2005-2008).
- External examiner, MA in Engineering Educations, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark (2006-2008).
- Member of the Doctoral Board, University of Firenze, Italy (2004-present).
- Tutor, Apple Design Project 1997 – “Digital Libraries” – Apple Inc. Cupertino USA.
- Tutor, Apple Design Project 1996 – “Design of Cooperative Systems for Communities of Practice” – Apple Inc. Cupertino USA.
- Tutor, Siena design project 2003-2004-2006-2007-2008, Siena, Italy
Recent international workshops and tutorials organisation
- Playware technology, the 23rd IEEE International Symposium on Robot and Human Interactive Communication, August 25-29, 2014, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK. http://rehabilitationrobotics.net/ro-man14/?page_id=1860.
- Smart Material Interfaces, Anton Nijholt, Leonardo Giusti, Andrea Minuto, Patrizia Marti. 14th ACM International Conference of Multimodal Interaction, DoubleTree Suites Santa Monica, California. October 22-26th, 2012 http://smartmaterialinterfaces.wordpress.com/
- Robots for children with special needs: technology and design challenges for an effective integration in therapeutic and educational environments, Ben Robins, Kerstin Dautenhahn, Gernot Kronreif, Patrizia Marti. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Anchorage, Alaska, May 3-8, 2010. http://icra2010.grasp.upenn.edu/~graspweb/dynamic/icra2010/
- Developing assistive technologies for children and adults with special needs: a user-centered approach, Ben Robins, Kazuyoshi Wada, Patrizia Marti, Kerstin Dautenhahn. IEEE RO-MAN 2009, 18th IEEE International Symposium on Robot and Human Interactive Communication Sep. 27 – Oct. 2, 2009, Toyama International Conference Center, Japan. http://hriforspecialneeds.wordpress.com/
- Creative Interactive Play for Disabled Children, Patrizia Marti, Leonardo Giusti. Erik Gronvall, Alessandro Pollini, Alessia Rullo, ACMIDC 2009 The 8th International Conference on Interaction Design and Children, 2009 June 3 – 5, Como, Italy. http://playidc09.wordpress.com/
- Designing Interaction for Next Generation Personal Computing, Giorgio De Michelis, Marco Loregian, Claudio Moderini, Patrizia Marti, Cesare Colombo, Liam Bannon, Cristiano Storni and Marco Susani, ACM SIG INTERACT 2009 12th IFIP TC13 Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, August 24 – 28, 2009 Uppsala, Sweden. http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1616359
Impact on Field
Patrizia has significantly contributed to the development of the Italian chapter of ACM SIGCHI which organises a biannual conference in Italy. In 2011 the conference entitled Facing Complexity, will be held in Alghero, September 13-16 2011. As Program Chair of CHItaly 2011, Patrizia significantly contributed to promote the international visibility of the conference. For the first time the conference proceedings will be published in the ACM Digital Library.
Patrizia has also contributed to the design and development of innovative technologies for health care and rehabilitation. Some prototypes developed during the projects coordinated by Patrizia are currently in used in schools, home cares, hospitals.
Furthermore her research activity has had issues of significant industrial relevance. She co-founded a research and consultancy firm which has nowadays a recognised international reputation. The company, Deep Blue (www.dblue.it), operates in the field of design and validation of complex human-machine systems and is regularly used by national and European agencies, to carry out work in the air traffic management field. Patrizia is the director of the company which has had an increasing turnover from its foundation onwards.